Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A look back at my New Year's Resolutions

This is the time of the year when people stop and evaluate their lives. The look at the New Year's Resolution's they made last year, see if they accomplished what they set their minds to do. New Year's Resolutions....
I'm not a big fan of New Year's Resolutions... they seem somewhat petty, like you can't just do stuff during the year, you have to wait till January to start something right.  But last year I decided, why not. I'll just try anyway see what the big deal is. I made two resolutions; easy ones I figured wouldn't be too hard to keep.


#1 - Work on my relationship with God
#2 - Exercise


I figured the first would be a pretty much no-brainer, except I wanted to do it a lot.  I thought I would work towards the place where you are;
 "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; " - Ephesians 6:18
Well, I didn't get there, but all throughout this past year, I kept thinking about the resolution I had made to
"...press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 3:14 and it would spur me on in God.


The second resolution was a bit harder to keep.  I wanted to exercise more and not because I wanted to lose weight and look like a model, but because I knew I wasn't in the best physical shape and I knew exercising would be good for me.  Well... sometime early this year I almost herniated a disk in my back and was put on restrictions for several weeks.  So that x'd any thoughts for exercising for a while.  After that I was just busy and too lazy to try and exercise.  Then, when I was seriously trying to fit it back into my schedule, I locked my hip.  And yep, that x'd exercising for another few weeks.  After that I decided that was enough, I'm just going to do it.  I need to get my body back into shape so I'm not getting hurt!!  I bought a DVD so I could exercise at home and not have to go to a gym or try running (which I stink at).  I've started doing it a couple times a week.  And you know what, not only am I enjoying it, but I'm noticing a difference.  I feel better, I don't get winded as much and I walk taller, more confidently and I haven't hurt myself since the locked hip.  Plus, I'm not a big fan of the music on the DVD so I try to pray while I'm exercising. It's not bad music, just not my preferences.


So all in all, my resolution to have New Year's Resolutions turned out pretty well. I got somewhere with them.  My final thoughts on the subject. Am I a fan of resolutions?  Yes, and No.  Yes, as a person who enjoys rising to a challenge, absolutely; it spurred me to do something and keep with it.  No, I don't think they are for everyone and it depends on the resolution, don't just think of something; put thought into it, decide to do something you actually WANT to do. Ditch New Year's, start it NOW.  Make resolutions all the time to push on in God, to Do Hard Things and allow God to make a difference in your life and the lives around you.  Resolve to let God consume your life into His will.




Philippians 3:13-14  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates