Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The girl with the fish on her head

When I was in middle school a friend of mine gave me a little card which I still carry around with me in my wallet. It has two penguins, one of whom has a fish over its head. Completely over. Like the fish is eating the penguin's head. The caption reads "Relax, God's in charge."

I carry it around because me, I'm that penguin with the fish on my head. I'm in the dark and I don't know what's going on, but I know it's not very comfortable. And I'm wishing someone would take the fish off my head and explain what's going on. I need the reminder that God is most definitely in charge.

I think the fact that I am a worrywort is the reason one of my favorite Bible verses is: "But which of you by taking thought can add one cubit to his stature?" (Matthew 6: 27). Okay, I'm short too, so the verse just happens to be doubly appropriate. But really, it's that calming reassurance that my worrying won't do anything that guides me through those moments when my mind is going, "Oh no, what if I can't study abroad? And what if no one ever likes me and I never get married? And what if I can't find a job after I graduate? Why can't I see where I'm going in life? Why is there a fish eating my head?"

Friends and chocolate are also useful in these situations.

2 comments:

Sarah Dee June 19, 2008 at 9:27 AM  

I totally understand! :D It's not an easy place to be this trust place. but he is sooo faithful. I love ya M... here is another friend with a fish on her head sharing some chocolate ith you!

Valerie June 19, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

Wow, I have - or had - that exact same card! I bought it to give to someone, but I don't remember if I did send it or not. I used to buy a lot of those things to send in letters.

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates