Thursday, February 26, 2009

Simple Goodness


It amazes me how many times I'll start writing something for this blog or my own journal, and then erase it because it seems like something only I would find interesting or helpful. I joke alot and use humor throughout my posts because I sometimes think the day to day lessons I'm learning wouldn't be of much use to anyone else--frankly not much of fascination really happens everyday in my life.

But I think that's part of the point God is trying to get through to me. Learning to love the simple things. Learning to view them as fascinating and wonderful, and special gifts from Him.

~Things like my 3 year-old niece getting excited because she and I are going to sit on the back seat together.
~Things like driving my Mom to run her errands while her car gets an oil filter change, and chatting about things as we drive
~Things like my older brother spending hours cleaning my dirt-lodged computer keyboard for me
~Things like a sunny day of 70 degrees
~Things like a peaceful car ride into work while I chat with the Lord

Things that in many aspects seem mundane and unimportant. But together they make the life God's given me.

Simple things to enjoy.

And to spread the joy of enjoying them to others.

Smiling at a sorrowful-looking stranger in the grocery store and watching their face partially lighten up and return the smile.
Writing a nice thank you to a fellow member on Paperbackswap.com or Swapadvd.com and getting a sweet note in return.
Asking someone I don't often talk to at church how they are doing, and actually listening to them tell me instead of moving on.

Just........finding delight in the small, seemingly insignificant things. While I learn to trust God with the big important ones that I have no control over and am trying not to be discouraged about. Such as oh, say, my future, my schooling, marriage, my parents once they hit old age, the economy, where America is heading--things that I have to daily leave in God's hands.

There's a line from a song by Hillsong United, that goes "This is my prayer in the battle, when triumph is still on its way."

Sometimes, in my life, I feel very much as though triumph is still on its way.

But I know God is already here.

And so are the simple things.

1 comments:

Rebecca February 26, 2009 at 7:56 AM  

simple things like.... reading a lovely blog post from my friend Deb? :)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates