Tuesday, February 17, 2009

To College or Not to College....

... that IS the question.

It's kind of a controversial issue, so I've discovered.

I graduated from high school 8 years ago. I didn't go to college. Not necessarily because I thought it was bad to go to college. Because I thought I didn't have any reason to go to college.

But, I've been thinking lately about college. I'm not considering going to college. I'm just considering taking some classes. Maybe online, maybe clepping... something.

And I have to say the thought of studying to learn something new, and the idea of taking a class and working hard for a passing grade, and eventually (maybe) earning a degree... is rather exhilerating!

I was talking with a friend of my mom's the other day. She's a "career-woman" in the sense that she went to college, has a degree, works almost full-time. She's great at what she does. She's married now and has a little girl, and I think that she would love to be at home with her daughter all of the time. And some day, I'm sure she will. But, at one point in her life she was not married, supporting herself, and being a wonderful example in the community, a blessing and a help to a lot of people. Because of the college degree that she acquired.

She told me: "College isn't for everyone. But, I'm always in favor of education." That brought a whole new perspective for me.

Why should we ever stop learning? I'm not saying everyone should take a college course. I'm saying, let's not let graduating from high school stop us from learning.

As long as it is in my power to do so... I want to keep learning. Even if all I do is read something in the encyclopedia every week. Get interested in a subject. Check out some books at the library. Learn something.

The REAL question should be: "what should I learn first?"

4 comments:

S.D. February 18, 2009 at 7:06 AM  

I know the answer to that:
Algebra, before I fail in it for real and college is out of the question.

Miss Deb February 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

Is that you in the pic? She looks like you :)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates