Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Stillness


I find God very restful. You see, I spend a good part of my life wrestling with words, beating them into shape, trying to be sure I find the perfect way to convey my precise meaning. Sometimes it's a joy and sometimes it's, well, not a joy.

But with God I don't need to anguish over words. I don't need to explain exactly what I mean by "happy" in this context because He knows. Before I even began to speak, He knew.

The Holy Fathers tell us that the highest form of prayer is wordless standing before God in your heart. Now, I am incredibly far from this kind of prayer. But I do know the joy of being able to simply say, "Lord, here is my heart. You know it. It has stains and rough spots. Clean it and perfect it" and to be sure that He does know, He does understand.

I dream of someday finding a man who will be, as Martine Leavitt puts it, a soul love. But in the end there's already One who knows me.


(Image from Stock Exchange)

2 comments:

Krista April 10, 2009 at 6:18 PM  

As someone who is constantly rephrasing and rewriting things in her head, I think I know what you mean. :-)

But with God I don't need to anguish over words. I don't need to explain exactly what I mean by "happy" in this context because He knows. Before I even began to speak, He knew.

Yes. Yes. YES.

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates