Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Pursuing Happyness

Author's Note: In this article I refer to the movie The Pursuit of Happyness.  Please note that the IDD Blog does not condone or recommend the movie because of certain content.  The movie has a wonderful, inspiring message but we feel the message would be just as powerful without requiring a PG-13 rating.  



"It was right then that I started thinking about Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence and the part about our right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. And I remember thinking how did he know to put the pursuit part in there?"
-
Chris Gardener
The Pursuit of Happyness

Have you seen this movie? The Pursuit of Happyness? I reviewed it HERE on my blog. I've been thinking about it a lot lately. The "Pursuing Happyness" part. Maybe it's the job hunt that got me going.

See, I have this idea that my goal in life is to be happy. It's a good goal right?? I thought so. But, it's a tough one.

I'm smart enough to know that if I run around wildly trying to do everything that will make me happy, I'll probably end up miserable. Ultimately happiness isn't in how many books I'll read in my lifetime, or how many yummy dinners I cook, or how many shopping trips I take.

I like to do all of these things, it DOES make me happy to read a good book. But, it's a short lived happiness, it will last during the story, and if it's a really good book, the glow will stick around for a few days afterward. After that it will fade and only resurface in memories. "That was a good book." I might read it again, looking to go back to that happy place. But, it will never be that good again, never as good as the first time.

So, I've been thinking about continual happiness and wondering if it's really possible.

As a single young lady, it's easy to blame my discontent on my singleness. But, I strive not to do that. Of course, I wish for marriage. It's only natural. It's a good desire. But, it won't bring me continual happiness.

So, what kind of happiness should I be pursuing?? There's only one kind that will last forever, that won't fade with time.

Psalm 144:15 "Happy is that people whose God is the Lord."

1 comments:

Melanie June 2, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

VERY good thought! Only Jesus can bring us true happiness!

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates