Thursday, August 13, 2009

Being Still

Earlier I wrote a post about actively waiting on the Lord. Running the race while you wait.

There's a flip side to that, which is, I believe, much harder.

Waiting.......and being still while you wait.

I'm a bit of a doer. Like Martha of the Bible, I'm one of those people who looks at what needs to be done and tries to do it. In large parties I'm usually in the kitchen or helping behind the scenes.

I like knowing I can contribute. I like thinking that somehow, someway, I can help it happen.

Which is probably why it's hard for me to sit still most of the time.

Martha takes alot of flak from people who talk about her lack of proper focus, and of course the Lord did say her focus was wrong and that she should have been like Mary and listened to Him, but I empathize with Martha.

Sitting still means I'm not contributing. Sitting still means someone else is in control. Sitting still means........trusting.

Sitting still means embracing the pain when you've done everything you can in the midst of grief and difficulty--and it's completely in God's hands now. Sitting still means trusting while you hurt.

When you watch a loved one suffering, and you have no control over it. When you cry out to God time and time again, yet He chooses, for His own perfect reasons, not to release them from this trial.

When you are confused about the next step to take, and you're waiting on God for direction. When there IS no other step ahead of you right now. And you feel smothered.

When you are helpless--and even hopeless.

It's much easier, I think, in waiting on the Lord, to do something as you wait. The hardest times are when you can't do anything.

When you wait--but you must be still and wait.

But truthfully--I believe one of the reasons God says Be still and KNOW I am God, is that when I am still, it is clearly He who is moving. The times when I learn to see God for who He is, are usually the times when I am doing nothing and He is doing everything. I may not see Him working, but after the storm has passed, I can look back and see how He WAS working, and it was ALL Him.

How He wanted my personal growth in Him,far more than my comfort.

Trusting God does not mean we will not suffer. Being still doesn't mean God removes the ache.

But it does mean we'll learn to know Him in a new way after the storm has passed. If we will willingly let Him teach us, and not run from the hurt and pain He is allowing.

Hide me now
Under Your wings
Cover me
Within Your mighty hand

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father you are King over the flood
I will be still and know You are God

Find rest my soul
In Christ alone
Know His power
In quietness and trust

When the oceans rise and thunders roar
I will soar with You above the storm
Father You are king over the flood
I will be still and know You are God


~Hillsong United

Having just flown for the first time, there are few things I've seen more amazing than soaring above the clouds--Feeling the presence of my Lord beside me in my stillness definitely is more amazing.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates