Friday, September 25, 2009

Friends and Fellowship

I've been thinking recently about the fellowship and friendship that is IDD.  You see, a few days ago I was reminded of a conversation I had with my mom about 10 years ago.  In this conversation I was bemoaning my lack of close friends and generally just the lack of fellowship with girls my own age. (Not counting my lovely sisters, whom I could never do without.)  I really didn't have any close friends outside of my sisters and I longed for an outside source of fellowship.  there was a family in the local homeschool group that I had decided we should get to know.  I thought we would get along well and wanted Mom to help me start something.  She understood my request and said she would try.  It never amounted to anything.  God had other plans.  I had close friends growing up but it seemed like once I hit my teen years I become friendless, that's what it felt like anyway.  Maybe I'm just a hard person to get to know, I don't know.  All I now is that there was a desire within me for friends to talk to and share with, to laugh and cry with.
It was about a year later that I started hanging out with a different group of girls in the homeschool group.  Sadly it was our senior year and college separated us.  We still talk, its just not the same.  Later that year I stumbled on IDD quite by accident.  Let me tell you it was the best accident ever!  I found out that a friend of my sister's was on IDD and figured why not!  It didn't take me long to feel accepted.  I fit in.  We talked and laughed, prayed and discussed. I felt needed and when I was internetless for one summmer the heartfelt cyber hugs when I returned felt awesome.
IDD became a safe haven for me.  A place to share thoughts and struggles.  A place where my friends were.  Years went by and I now have real friends, best friends, soul mates.  Granted we rarely see each other in person and most of our conversations involve a computer and an invention we call cyber space.  But its real.

Looking back, I realize I've kinda taken IDD for granted all these years.  The fellowship it brings is irreplaceable.  I don't know where I would be without it.  So, to all you IDDiots out there., THANK YOU!!!!! Thank you for the fellowship and friendship.  For the times you've listened to me.  The cyber hugs and shoulders you've lovingly gave.  For the laughter and memories.  For the unexpected snail mail and texts that arrived just when I needed the reminder that someone cares.  Thank you for everything.  You have impacted my life and the friendships we have formed will never be forgotten.

No, I'm not going anywhere.   I just wanted to tell you all that you are appreciated  For those of you who aren't on the forum feel free to jump on the band wagon.  The link is on the right.

5 comments:

Melanie September 25, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

What a sweet post!
When I was younger, I had very few friends either. From the time I was about 10-14 years old, I had basically one friend my age but we moved about a half hour away from her and then hardly saw her anymore. But in the last two years, God has just overwhelmed me with such wonderful friends-- friends who are not only LOADS OF FUN (especially on Windows Live Messenger ;-) ), but who are also a great encouragement to me in my walk with Christ. I am so grateful to the Lord for the godly friends He has allowed me to have. I praise Him for the friends He has given you as well. :-)

P.S. God DID do great things during that time when I didn't have so many friends. He taught me to rely on HIM as my best friend. I am so grateful He did! :-D

Valerie September 25, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

For me, IDD has provided not only the friendship I was lacking, but I have gained much, much more. I have more confidence in myself, I am not so terribly shy like I used to be, and yes, my spelling has improved, to name a few. All because of IDD. <3

Miss Deb September 29, 2009 at 6:45 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Deb September 29, 2009 at 6:46 PM  

IDD gave me the confidence to BE a friend--to know that there WERE girls out there who wanted to be friends with me continuously, and not just off and on like alot of my childhood friends. That I WAS accepted and loved, and I wasn't just the "friend to talk to if the other girls weren't there".

And that yes, the friendship was mutual and not one-sided.

I love my IDDiots :)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates