Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The "Promise" Ring

Some people call them "Promise rings."
Other people prefer "Purity Ring" or "Chastity Ring."
For me, the idea of saving myself for marriage was nothing new.  And I didn't need a ring to remind myself.  BUT, being a girl :) and being 16 :) :) I was very delighted to open my birthday present to find a pretty gold band with 10 tiny diamonds from Mom and Dad.

A Promise Ring.  And my parents asked me for more than just a promise to remain pure.  I promised this:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
-Proverbs 22:6


I've worn my Promise Ring for almost 11 years now.  In fact, I wore out the original ring, and Mom and Dad kindly replaced it for me.  So, the promise remains on my finger.  A daily reminder to follow the path.  To fight the fight.
For me, the fight isn't whether or not to remain pure.
For me, the fight is everyday, in my soul.  Every hour, sometimes.  A fight for righteousness.
A fight to keep my promise.

3 comments:

Sarah Dee December 9, 2008 at 8:33 AM  

This just really spoke to me. Thanks for posting Rebecca. *hug*

Elisabeth December 28, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

This is so beautiful - thank you for sharing, Rebecca! :)

Michelle January 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

I am so there with you! I have adored wearing one for the few months I've had it. Everytime I look down at it I remember the promises I've made to God, and it fills me with such joy!

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates