Thursday, January 22, 2009

Listening

Yesterday was one of those days when I had my afternoon all figured out. I was off work, so I would stay home, work on some things, and then head to the revival meeting at church that night.

A whole glorious afternoon.

I could accomplish so much.

Then the phone rang.

I looked at the caller ID. It was a dear friend calling me. I loved talking to them. I wanted to talk to them, but.............they like to talk.

And talk.

And talk.

And talk.

Now again, I love talking to them--I really do!

But in my mind sat the list of things I'd planned to get accomplished--things I NEEDED to do.

If I called them back, the chances of my getting those things done happening would be slim.

But I called them back anyway. And we chatted for 3 hours. It turns out they were going through some tough things. And they needed someone to talk to about it. To listen. To be there for them.

I'm discovering more and more that this is what alot of people truly need.

I'll admit--sometimes my problem-solving nature can want to take over and give the solution. People don't always need that though. Often they just want someone to listen. Just sit and care enough to hear. Not solve their problems. Not tell them what they should do. Just listen. Because they don't always need an answer from me. They need an ear.

There are times when we need to give an answer. There are times when things needs to be said, howbeit lovingly. But I believe if we are hearing the Holy Spirit, He will impress on us when those times are.

More often than not, though, I need to remember that God gave me two ears and one mouth so I can listen twice as much as I talk. Even when it's not convenient. Even when I have things I need to do.

Sometimes, God wants us to use our ears instead of our mouth. Sometimes, it's more encouraging to someone when we listen, instead of telling them what to do.

Sometimes, our just listening enables them to hear God speaking--because we aren't.

I want to be a better listener.

2 comments:

MaureenE January 23, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

Great post Deb! Listening may not be a flashy talent like balancing five olives on your nose, but it's a wonderful one all the same.

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates