Thursday, January 1, 2009

Committed.............to Whom?


I have a secret to share with you.

Ready?

Promise you won't tell?

Okay, here it is:

*whispers* I'm not committed to courtship.

Before you all faint or wonder about me, allow me to state that I'm not committed to dating either.

Or betrothal.

Or even, in actuality, dating with a purpose.

I promise I haven't lost it. My head, as much as it ever was, is still screwed on straight.

But I'm not committed to courtship. Because I don't belong to methods. I belong to God.

I'm committed to waiting on Him, trusting in Him, and being guided by Him to the right person at the right time. I'm committed to leaving my love life in His capable hands to direct and lead.

Courtship, or dating with a purpose, is the practical outworking of this commitment to waiting on God in my life. I "practice" courtship or dating with a purpose, you might say. But I don't trust in it.

I'm waiting on God.

I'm committed to Him.

5 comments:

Sam January 1, 2009 at 7:27 AM  

Thanks ever so much for that! You said it all perfectly! Finally a way I can explain it to my friends who think I'm crazy for not going for the whole "courtship" thing!!

Rebecca January 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

Excellent post Deb! thank you!

Melanie January 6, 2009 at 6:29 PM  

Thank you for the encouraging post. It is important for me to remember I am not to identify myself with a set of rules or a practice; rather, I am to identify myself as a child and servant of God, and be commited to HIM. Everything else should flow out of my relationship with Him.

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates