Tuesday, May 26, 2009

In God I Trust

Growing up, I had so many fears. Armed with an especially vivid imagination, I'd hide under the blankets in my bed, certain that all of my fears came to life when the lights went out. The White Witch lived in my closet and the Wicked Witch of the West under my bed. Nagina from Rikki-Tikki-Tavi was lurking somewhere out of sight nearby my bureau and the wolves from Little House on the Prairie, they were just down the hall.

Books and movies were both my friend and enemy in those days.

Lying in bed, I'd repeat snatches of Psalms in my head, even while I evilness that kept my eyes wide open to watch for witches, wolves and cobras. What time I am afraid, I will trust in Thee...I will not be afraid of the terror by night or of the arrow that flies by day...

(or the imaginary monsters that never frightened me by day)

I grew up. I outgrew my fears. Well, those fears at least. I grew up and lost my fears of characters from stories and movies, but I haven't lost my fears.

I'm still scared of change, even though I'm getting better at overcoming it. I'm still afraid of what people may think of me, afraid of conflict, afraid of...so many things.

My fears have different names, but the remedy for them is the same. I will never lose being afraid of something, but I hope and pray I never lose the way to deal with them.

God.

Prayer.

His Word.

God.

So many unknowns...but I'm hanging onto the prayers and Psalms.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty
I will say to the Lord, "My Refuge and my Fortress. My God in whom I trust."

1 comments:

Melanie May 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

I am the same way. When I was little, I was scared of the very shadows after I watched "Lantern Hill" and had nightmares about witches. Now I'm afraid of change, tragedy, etc. etc. Way too many things! Thank you for posting about the mighty God in whom we can place our trust, knowing that He IS in control and He WILL take care of us! :-)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates