Thursday, May 28, 2009

Impressive-less


I have this thing about impressions.

I like giving good ones.

For years I struggled with an inferiority complex. To look at me, you probably wouldn't have guessed. Outwardly I was outgoing and friendly, but inwardly I wanted nothing more than to run and hide from everyone around me.

The reason?

I didn't feel impressive. Quite the opposite.

I like to be liked--but more often than not, I want to impress. I like the admiration of others. I like knowing people look up to me. I like, well, being impressive.

Like many people, I tend to base my actions on what other people think rather than on pleasing my Lord.

The truth is, I'm not someone because I'm somebody--I'm someone because of Somebody. As I stated in a previous post, I have been fought for. Bought with a dear price. Anything I have is because of my Lord. In all honesty, I have nothing to be impressive about--it's all from Him anyway.

I don't need to worry over what people think of me--what really matters is what God thinks.

Of course I need to protect my testimony. After all, "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches" (Proverbs 22:1). I do have a reputation as a child of God that I must guard carefully.

Wanting to impress tends to go beyond protecting our testimony. It becomes about us looking good to others. My focus as a Christian should not be to make people look at me and say "Wow, what a great girl!" but rather "Wow, what a great God she serves!"

God is the one who chooses to exalt us as we humble ourselves before Him. In His time, in His way, He does lift us up. But the focus all goes back to Him, because He alone is Creator of the Universe, King of kings, & Lord of lords.

Now that is impressive.

2 comments:

Farming Wisconsin May 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

Thank you for sharing your heart. This is something I can really struggle with too. It's so easy to wish I was popular, but pleasing the Lord is far more satisfying than pleasing man. I've often wished I was more out-going and able to make friends quickly, instead of living as He created me.

Valerie May 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

Great post, Deb! This goes right along with the MercyMe concert I went to last night... "So long, self..."

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates