Wednesday, October 1, 2008

For today

I'm waiting for a lot of things. Waiting to get out of school, waiting for my first real job, waiting to have my own place, waiting to be a real adult, waiting to get married.

Sometimes it seems like my whole life is waiting.

That's not really a good feeling. I mean, when someone asks you what you want to do with your life, who says "I want to wait"? We want to do big things. We want to scribble our message on the sky. We want to shout so the whole world will hear. We want to ditch school and work and life with our friends in a community.

We don't want to wait.

I've had my times of struggle in this area. There are moments when I consider ditching it all and opening a bakery with my friend (this is our plan if, in ten years, we can't take it any more). But recently I've started to think. Maybe I can't do big things right at the moment. Maybe I am in a sort of limbo. But I can do small things. I can make small beauties.

I can craft words so they are woven together like strands of yarn. I can bake bread and hand it out to my friends - and the people I barely know. I can put dried flowers and a peacock feather and set them under a picture. I can grow a rose bush in my window.

And sometimes small beauties are enough.

5 comments:

Miss Deb October 1, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Lovely post Maureen--convicting :)

LOL, my sister and I have said for years if we're both still single, and if she moves back to the states we're gonna open a coffee shop in Seattle. I want to call it Brew La La, but she's not too sold on the title.

Either that or Perks & Recreation :D

Danae October 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

That feeling of waiting never seems to leave. Waiting to get married, then I'm married. Waiting to start school. Waiting to finish school. Waiting for Jeff to finish school. Waiting until we can move out of this apartment. Waiting until it's time for kids.
And yet so often, I don't stop for those small beauties. The reminder is good.

Lol, Deb - I like Brew La La!

Valerie October 1, 2008 at 6:50 PM  

This must be a more common idea that I though, because I've talked to my sisters about opening a bakery in 10 years or so when we are still waiting around. I don't think we will though, around here every bakery that opens soon closes. Not enough business.

Krista October 1, 2008 at 8:23 PM  

How about a tea shop or cafe, VB? :-) My mom has wanted to open a tea house...someday! I'm not certain how much I'd enjoy it, though. Sampling the food and teas, yes, but all the work...?

Although by the time I'm done accounting courses, I'll be all set to do the bookkeeping, I suppose...

Pam H. October 7, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

Yes, let's be careful re what Danae has said. It can never end!! Waiting until kids are X age (fill in the blank).... The little things done with love are what count, in God's eyes, not the big things the world notices. St. Therese said it is a great thing to pick up a pin, if it is done for the love of God. It gets harder, in the crush of duties, to appreciate the clouds, the bark of trees after a rain, a tiny flower hidden in some weeds. But when we do, we remember joy.

One more thing: Patience is a fruit of the Holy Spirit! (Wish I had more of it! Practice! Practice!)

(I like Perks & Recreation best, Deb!)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates