Friday, May 9, 2008

An Admonishment From Jane Austen

From Jane Austen's Love and Freindship (with original spelling and grammar)

"My beloved Laura (said she to me a few Hours before she died) take warning from my unhapped End and avoid the imprudent conduct which had occasioned it.... Beware of fainting-fits.... Though at the time they may be refreshing and agreable yet beleive me they will in the end, if too often repeated and at imporoper seasons, prove destructive to your Constuitution... My fate will teach you this... I die a Martyr to my greif for the loss of Augustus .. One fatal swoon has cost me my Life... Beware of swoons Dear Laura... A frenzy fit is not one quarter so pernuicious; it is an exercise to the Body and if not too violent, is I dare say conducive to Health in its consequences - Run mad as often as you chuse; but do not faint -"

4 comments:

Krista May 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

This quote never ceases to make me giggle! :-D

Valerie May 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

Oh heavens! I'll remember this the next time I feel a swoon coming on. ^_^

Sarah Dee May 10, 2008 at 5:45 PM  

Oh Dear Me! that is just too amusing!

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates