Monday, May 19, 2008

Lost

The highway is eerily dark tonight as I drive home from choir practice by myself. After singing all evening, I’ve come down from a musical high and can’t seem to find any CD in my car’s player to suit me.

The road stretches out in front of me, I know, but darkness hides most of it from my sight. There isn’t a set of taillights to be seen, not even in the distance. I flick on my high beams and glance in my rear view mirror. There aren’t any cars behind me either, leaving my eyes nothing to see but pitch black. My throat tightens. I’ve never liked the dark, especially when I’m all alone. I feel lost and the darkness seems to close in, kept at bay by only my headlights.

I switch to another CD, hoping to find something, anything that will lighten the suffocating feeling. I skip several songs, until I reach one track that is soothing in it’s familiarity, the result of being listened to over and over again.

The singer goes into the chorus and I catch my breath a bit.

'Cause you are not alone
I'm always there with you
And we'll get lost together
Till the light comes pouring through
'Cause when you feel like you're done
And the darkness has won
Babe, you're not lost


I know the song isn’t about God, but suddenly the lump pressing against my throat eases a little.

- I’m always there with you -

I will never leave you nor forsake you
Joshua 1:5


- Till the light comes pouring through -

The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear?
Psalm 27:1


- ‘cause when you feel like you’re done –

Though youths grow weary and tired,
And vigorous young men stumble badly,
Yet those who wait for the LORD
Will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.
Isaiah 40:30-33


- And the darkness has won –

If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,"
Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day
Darkness and light are alike to You.
Psalm 139:11-12


- Babe, you're not lost -

I will never leave you nor forsake you


My car comes to the crest of the hill and as ground begins to slope, I see lights on the highway below. Lights in the darkness.

'Cause you are not alone

(I will never leave you nor forsake you)

I'm always there with you


I am glad to see the lights – I am nearly home now – but I’m suddenly, in what may perhaps be the silliest way, glad for a certain jazz song and the promises it holds for me.

Baby, you’re not lost.


song "Lost" written by Michael Buble, Alan Chang and Jann Arden, sung by Michael Buble

3 comments:

Miss Deb May 19, 2008 at 11:28 AM  

Krista that was really sweet!

It's amazing what God can use to comfort us :)

Valerie May 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

What a neat way to treat that chorus! That was really good.

That song, when I'm in my emotional state, really makes me blubber. Bad.

kalipay May 27, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

great thought process there! it's a sign of spiritual maturity, i think, to be able to take a mundane thing of life and be able to discern through it and come out closer to the Lord. :)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates