Friday, September 12, 2008

Memories

On August 6th my Great Grandma went to be with the Lord. She was 88 years old, and the last of my Great Grandparents.  You see, I am one blessed person.  I, up until 10 years ago, had 4 sets of grandparents.  My dad's parents, my mom parents, and both sets of my mom's grandparents.  Some people never meet their grandparents let alone great grandparents.  I did.  The thing is, when I heard that my grandma had died, I was at work.  I went right back to work, hoping it would keep me from crying and my mind off my grandma.  It worked, kinda.  You see, I didn't cry, but I certainly thought about grandma a lot. In fact, I thought about all my grandparents.  Memories of them came flooding in.  The last time I say each of them.  Special moments we spent together.  I kept remembering the smile my dad's dad gave me only days before he died.

A few days later, I was at my Gr. Grandparents house, going through her things.   They lived by a river, and there was water in the basement earlier this year.  They were still working on cleaning things out and we needed to get it finished.  We laughed and cried, memories abound in that house, they lived there for 45 years.  The house abounds with memories of them.

A few Saturdays ago all the family was supposed to meet at the house, to help clean up and then divvy up possessions.  There were so many things that meant something to one or the other, or all of us. It's amazing how one of the many unique toys they collected would bring back a score a happy memories.

The funny thing about all of it, was that after the fact, it got me to thinking.  Thinking about all the material things that exist in a person's life. The things that, before they are a person's possession, they are meaningless.  But once they become an owned possession they are important.  They become priceless, and to friends and families a door to memory lane.  What things do I own that will someday be a priceless treasure to someone else?  Make the most of today, and treasure the memories of yesterday.

1 comments:

Emma Pearl September 13, 2008 at 11:32 AM  

Oh, I'm so sorry about your great grandmother! She sounds like a wonderful person. My only living great grandparent is soooo special to me, so I understand so much!

May you have peace!

Emma

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates