Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Tale of Two T-shirts


September 11 held little significance to me. It was merely 11 days before my brother's birthday, or 9 before my friend's. It was the bridge of memorable days to come. But not one of the memorable days itself.

Until 2001.

On that day I stood before the TV and watched as terrorists struck our nation. I watched heroes come forth, and rescue those trapped inside the Twin Towers. I watched heroes give their life to prevent further destruction, by resisting the terrorists on the plane. Everywhere I looked people showed their American pride. "God Bless America" echoed across the wind, on bumper stickers and flags

And especially on t-shirts.

There was another t-shirt I saw, not as popular, but still as moving. "America, bless God."

In the midst of all the turmoil, the fear, the uncertainty, it was a reminder of how great our need for God is as a nation--and how much we need to be praying for our leaders. People suddenly flocked to churches, wanting the reassurance that Someone was indeed in control through all of this.

9/11 was a terrible tragedy, one I will never forget, one that I should never forget. But I fear the greater tragedy would be for us to forget to seek God as a nation at all times--not just when we are attacked. The greater tragedy is when Christians cry out to God to heal our land only when tragedy strikes.

So on 9/11, I pray we will remember not only "God Bless America"--but "America, Bless God."

And pray for our leaders, our country, and that God's truth be proclaimed throughout this land.

If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14

2 comments:

Valerie September 11, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

We have an "America Bless God" bumper sticker. I love it.

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates