Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The pain in the heart

It’s been a rough couple of months. Not so much for me personally, though there have been moments, but for those around me. My friends, my online friends, my online acquaintances, friends of friends—it seems like everywhere I turn there’s someone hurting, someone who needs a hand.

In the face of so much pain, what can we do? Sometimes I feel utterly helpless, as if any words or actions on my part will seem trite and insincere. Sometimes I can only cry out, “Lord have mercy. Lord send us grace.” But there are things I can do. I can be a shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to. I can say what’s in my heart, even if it’s been said again and again. I can send surprise packages to those who least expect it. These things are little gestures. They won’t erase the sorrow. But if they can lighten it just a bit, then I will do what I can.

There are things I do believe. I believe that God has mercy, that He can heal the impossible. I believe that grace can be found in the worst situations.

I'd like to close with a prayer from my tradition of Christianity, Eastern Orthodoxy.

"Turn not away from the torrent of my tears, O Virgin, thou who didst give birth to Christ, who doth wipe away all tars from every face."

Supplicatory Canon to the Mother of God, Ninth Ode

0 comments:

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates