Friday, August 29, 2008

Hear O Israel

One item from Krista's post "With All My Heart" really caught my eye.

Hear, oh Israel, the Lord our God is one.
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart
and all your soul and all your might.


You see, I'm not Jewish, but I have a fascination with that prayer.  It all started a year or so ago when I was re-reading Brock and Bodie Thoene's "The Zion Covenant" and "The Zion Chronicles".  If you haven't read these books I highly recommend you read them at your earliest convenience :D

Back to the prayer, this Shema is used often the the books, they are true life stories about Jews during WWI and WWII.  The prayer is uttered often, but not just as a prayer or an exclamation that God is the one true Lord, but as a prayer of courage, a prayer of dedication, of comfort and of pronouncement.  The thing is, it's become the same for me.  Every time I read or think about that prayer, a feeling of comfort, of  strength, and of knowledge that God really is the one true God, comes over me, and I smile.  I know that I serve a living God, and I want to serve Him, with all my heart, all my soul and all my might.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  August 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM  

Oh! I love the Theone's Zion Books! I too have memorized the Shema because of them. What a well thought out post. Thank you.

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates