Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Quiet?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

I'm sure most of you knew this already, but I have rather the cutest niece on the face of the earth. Now those who are also aunts will certainly disagree, as well they should, but I still hold to this belief regardless.

Kaila never ceases to amuse. She is all energy and smiles, with lots of energy. Yes, I know I said that twice. Simply because she has twice the energy I do--a fact I faced quite vividly last Sunday.


My brother and sister-in-law went into the city overnight, so Little One went off to Grandma and Grandpa's, to be picked up after church the next morning.

I think I caught maybe three words out of that church service.
She tried very hard to sit still. She tried to be quiet as she looked through the hymnbook, or played with her own picture book. But it's so very difficult when you're two, and there is just so much to see and do.

Every other minute I was leaning forward and whispering gently into her ear "Kaila, you need to be quiet for church, and sit still."

Finally, after one time of me leaning forward, she exclaimed in a loud, protesting tone "I quiet!"

I was caught between wanting to laugh, and feeling slightly guilty for pressuring her so much, when I knew she trying. I ended up taking her outside, and we walked around to quell some of the wiggles.

I chuckle when I think about her answer--but it also sobers me.

Too often in my own life as a Christian, I hear the Lord's gentle whisper to my heart "Deb, you need to be still, and quiet before me."

I put forth a small effort, nothing much, and leave it at that.

After all, I've got too much to do right now, Lord!

Again, He urges me to be still before Him. Just listen. Just feel His presence.

My answer is much like Kaila's--

"I quiet!"

"Lord, I was quiet for a short bit--isn't that enough??? I just have so many things to do! How much more do You want??"

How it must grieve my Lord when my focus is more on just zipping through my quiet time, or performing "my duties" than it is being still, and knowing He is God.

In the rat race of busyness, (and believe me, I run in plenty of rat races) I so easily forget to take the time to just know Him. Just listen as He speaks to me. Just meditate on His Word, and let it soak down into my mind and heart.

I suppose the next time I'm tempted to brush aside the Lord's promptings to re-evaluate my focus, I can think back to my niece--and ask myself "I quiet?"

3 comments:

MaureenE August 21, 2008 at 1:07 PM  

Ouch. I needed to hear that. Thanks Deb!

Anne August 24, 2008 at 7:42 PM  

That's an excellent point...too often I do that to the Lord. Isn't it ironic that what we see in a little child's life is often what we do to the Lord? Good post!

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates