Monday, August 4, 2008

Matchmaker, Matchmaker!

If some of you recall my post on trying new things, you'll know that I participated in a choir concert last week. Over fifteen people sang, many of whom sang both solos and duets. All in all, everyone had a marvelous time singing a wide array of music, from hymns to folk songs to Broadway show tunes.

The last performance of the evening was a sort of duet. An older gentleman, whom I recognized from community choir, sang "How Great Thou Art," while his son, who looked to be in his thirties, signed the lyrics. Just before the older gentleman burst into song, however, he introduced his son to the audience. "He's a registered sign language interpreter for schools in our area," he said, motioning to the man standing next to him. "And ladies!" He paused slightly and scanned the audience pointedly. "He's single!"

Oh, matchmaking parents!

And matchmaking grandparents.

After the concert was over, I made my way through the crowd to greet my mother, sisters and grandparents. After an intial, "You did good, kiddo!", my memere looked up at me impishly and said in a stage whisper, "There's a nice single guy over there!"

*facepalm*

Not only did she point him out to me, but also to my young sister. And to my friend who is also single.

And I could feel her eyes on my back when the most-definitely-single young man came over to congratulate me and my friend on our performance of the duet.

Oh dear.

It's started again. The matchmaking.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

2 comments:

Valerie August 4, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

TELL me about it.

It is the most unhelpful thing people who want to be helpful can do. Scares both parties away.

marmaladeinstead August 6, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

I don't think it ever ends! I'm learning to just laugh about it. :) Not to their faces, of course!

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates