Monday, August 11, 2008

Life and Love and Hope


I ran out to CVS one night a few weeks ago and wandered through the card section on my way out the door. Hundreds of Valentine's cards...

I stopped by the "Thinking of You" section. I like to send fun "I Miss You!" cards to my friends who live far away and so I glanced through a few of them. And then I saw one...

"I miss you, but I'm being brave," the cover read.

I opened it and smiled. It said: Sobbing. But otherwise, brave.

Feeling like an utter sap, I suddenly wanted desperately to buy this card. It was not the sort I'd send to a pen-pal or girlfriend. It was one I wanted to send my man. I wanted to buy it and tuck it away for "one day, someday." I stared at it wistfully, then put it back.

Does it surprise you that this romantic sap went back and bought that card?

Since buying it, I've fingered and smiled fondly at it and thought about it. And with that, it suddenly occurred to me. Just because it hurts at times, just because I'm lonely at times, cry at times, it doesn't mean I can't be brave, it doesn't mean I'm not brave.

Scoff if you will, but being single sometimes takes bravery. It takes bravery to hope, even without knowing that something will come to pass. It is far easier to give into fear and apathy and think, "Well, why hope? It will never happen."

And so it is, that I hope.

Sobbing, but still brave.

Because God is a God of love and there are happily ever afters.

- written February 2008

7 comments:

Anonymous,  August 11, 2008 at 7:49 AM  

cnbzaiThanks Krista for being so open about your own heart. For myself, I thought I had outgrown the extreme sappiness (about this issue) of my teenage years, but it seems like the more time goes by, the more it pops up again! :-)

I used to read your personal blog but for several months haven't been able to, for some reason. Then there you are popping up on ylcf! So glad to find you again.

Anonymous,  August 11, 2008 at 8:23 AM  

Oh...

I thought I was the only one who bought cards to send my future DYM!!

:)

Glad I'm not.

(Thanks for the candid and encouraging post!)

Heather August 11, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

Thanks for sharing that! I am one who has been saying, "Why hope, it's never gonna happen." But yet I still find myself hoping because it's a God-given right to hope.

I'm hoping, crying, braving through this too! :D

Miss Deb August 11, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

Krista you know what's funny? The post God gave me for Thursday is similarly along these same lines!

I'm thinking there are alot of us right now (myself included) who need this encouragement in being brave:)

Great post :)

Pam H. August 24, 2008 at 7:39 AM  

In the National Catholic Register a couple years ago, there was an article about single men who FAST and PRAY for their future spouses. What a neat idea!

Marie November 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

I know this was posted a long time ago... 2 years ago, but I found it today and I loved it. I can relate. Well written :)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates