Friday, July 25, 2008

Fairy Tales Versus Reality



Once upon a time in a land far, far away lived a girl, a single girl. Hmmm... that's doesn't quite work, does it.  Let's try again.


Once upon a time, far, far away lived an unmarried girl..... and she lived happily, single ever after?



O.k. so, neither one works? Why?  Well, because single and happily every after don't belong in the same sentence.  Why?  Well, because fairy tales always end with THEY lived happily ever after!



I grew up thinking there was nothing wrong with fairy tales.  I mean, a beautiful girl meets a handsome, perfect prince charming, they fall in love, get married and live happily ever after.  *cues music*

So this is love, Mmmmmm

So this is love

So this is what makes life divine

I'm all aglow, Mmmmmm

And now I know

The key to all heaven is mine

My heart has wings, Mmmmmm

And I can fly

I'll touch ev'ry star in the sky

So this is the miracle that I've been dreaming .

*music screeches to a halt*

Dreaming!

You mean it's not real!!!!!!

Nope, fairy tales are not reality, sorry dear.  It took me a long time to realize that life is nothing like a fairy tale.  Not for everyone. You see, I had based my future dreams off of non-reality.  The day I realized it, was the day I realized that I didn't want my life to end up like a fairy tale.  O.k. well... the amazing dress and the beautiful church for the wedding is o.k.  But the perfect man, hmm,... not so much.  I mean, why would you want to marry a perfect man, with no flaws at all.  I have flaws.  I wouldn't want the poor perfect man to end up with flawed me, he deserves better.



What girl doesn't dream of touching every star in the sky!  Sounds divine, no? Absolutely!!! But is it reality?  Hmm... well, maybe that part.



Look at it. Every single fairy tale princess has a prince charming. Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, and what about Belle?  The ugly beast turns into a handsome prince! But it's not real, and sadly I let myself base reality off of an unsecure foundation build upon stories.



So, what am I trying to say here?  Well, I just want to encourage you wake up to reality.  Stop, expecting a fairy tale.  Make sure you aren't building dreams upon fiction.  It's not good for you.  Think about it.  How many people get the fairy tale they dream of?  Not many.  Wouldn't you rather be surprised by a fairy tale ending than dissapointed that it didn't happen.  Wouldn't you rather come crashing to earth now. rather than later?  Take it with a grain of salt and think about it, how much are you letting stories dictate reality?

1 comments:

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates