Thursday, July 31, 2008

Small Things Make Tall Things

Photobucket


I don't know about you, but I have a thing for quizzes. Call it a strange enjoyment of being asked my opinion or answer, but I love quizzes. I love reading what they have to say about me in the end. So when I see a personality quiz, well, I just have to take it.

The funny thing is, they generally all say the same thing.

I am a dreamer.

That doesn't surprise me. Even when I was home schooled I think I spent more time dreaming about my future than finishing my present homework.

I like to dream big dreams. I like to aim for big things. I want to do something big for God.

But I often forget that most of the time I won't be called to do a few big things, but rather, many "little" things.

Little things that maybe seem as though no one would ever notice them. Like helping with household stuff for Mom, when I'm tired, and don't feel like it. Or taking the time to listen while a friend vents out their frustrations, even though I've got 90 other pressing matters to attend to. Or being cheerful and encouraging, when deep down I just want to cry too. Or just continuing in what I have to do today, even if it's the same thing everyday--be it chores, errands, work, or whatever.

Little things, that so often seem harder than big things--because we have to keep on doing them. I find myself dreaming about the day I can really do something for God.

But in reality, each time I do these "little" things for His glory, I AM already doing "big" things for Him. I love how 1 Corinthians 4:2 puts it: "Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy." (ESV)

God is asking us to be faithful, in the small things He puts in our lives. As we show ourselves trustworthy with little things, He often brings bigger, more difficult things our way.

But it starts with the little things. For these are where we learn, bit by bit, what trusting God really means. What laying down ourselves for His sake entails. And why we need His strength to accomplish even the smallest things.

There's a kid's song I learned years ago which really sums it all up:

Faithful in little things
cuz little things make big things,
Great things are done
by doing little things everyday
Small things make tall things
And tiny things make all things
Faithful in little things everyday.


So the next time you struggle with feeling like the little things you do don't matter, remember--
Small Things Make Tall Things.

And by the way-- feel free to vent to me anytime. My 90 other pressing matters can easily wait.

3 comments:

Mac July 31, 2008 at 9:43 AM  

So true! Thanks for the post it's a wonderful reminder and encouragement!!!!!

Valerie July 31, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

*whispers* Do Hard Things!

;-D

Miss Deb July 31, 2008 at 7:50 PM  

Actually only a small portion was inspired by that book.......the rest is my own life lessons speaking ;)

Blog Archive

 

The IDD Blog | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates